Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

i have a bmw 318i.....1796cc....petrol.....1999. The temperature

Customer Question

i have a bmw 318i.....1796cc....petrol.....1999.

The temperature gauge flew into the red a couple of weeks ago so i stopped immediately and got a tow home....the engine didnt cook or even seem as if it had got very hot.

Since then Ive done the following

head skim and new gasket.....new water pump....removed thermostat.....new radiator......cleaned out airconditioning radiator that is in front of the normal rad to assist airflow.....

On running the engine now the temp gauge goes halfway fairly quickly and then the electric fan comes on as normal and keeps the gauge halfway. Take on moterway and all seems ok until I leave the motorway or have to slow down.....temp gauge flies back up to red....again no apparent boiling up or water loss. gauge then suddenly goes back down to halfway and stays there even if I allow it to tick over for an hour.

Observations

I had to remove waterpump with a hammer....the jacking screws stripped in the thread. I found the impeller broken off from the pump spindle but this could have been because of the hammering!
Head gasket showed signs of leakage from no. 4 cylinder...signs of tracking into water jacket and lots of rust on lower head bolt....also sign of rust down back of block but no leaks from heater hose connections there

Question
What is the answer to the apparent overheating

Could this simply be a faulty temp sender unit?

Help much appreciated

Pete
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

I would suspect a possible faulty temp sensor or fan clutch.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this model only has an electric fan....I've ordered a new temp sender unit for tomorrow....I'll let you know

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Good luck. Please kindly select a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still waiting for a new temperature sensor. When I receive and fit it
I will then know if your solution was correct and I will then rate your
answer accordingly

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
You have already been charged to place your question. The only way I receive a portion of this is if a rating of OK or higher is selected. Please kindly select a positive rating.