Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Ive a 1993 e36 the instrument cluster seems to be giving trouble

I've a 1993 e36 the instrument cluster seems to be giving trouble at the min there's noting working on it except the usual lights that's suppose to come on when you go to start it all that's coming up on the LCD display is "code" if you could tell me what the fault might be I'd appricate it thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

unfortunately this usually (almost always) points to a failed instrument cluster.

you can check fuses and it also may be possible for it to be rescued with programming and/or a new coding plug

failing this, the unit has failed and will either need to be replaced or sent out for repair (check with Programma Inc and BBA Reman if they repair this cluster)

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.