Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I am looking at buying a bmw convertible. I have been told

I am looking at buying a bmw convertible. I have been told the indicators work fine outside but don't flash on in the dash and its linked with the roof. the car is a Y reg.a mechanic says this should trigger EML light to come on. I am hoping to find out if this is easy to fix at home
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

what year is the car?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car is aY reg think it's 2000
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

the only way that the lights not flashing on the dash is linked to the roof is if the issue is a faulty ignition switch

if not a faulty ignition switch, then there is very little chance these issues are connected.

the EML light comes on when there is a problem with the engines electronic throttle control system. Whoever told you the roof, or the lights, could trigger an EML light simply does not know what they are talking about.

I would not buy this car until the issue is fixed. It could be just an ignition switch, but it could be MUCH worse if there is a roof issue. Roof issues are NOT fixable at home. You will be paying BMW workshop labor prices for any roof repair.

this car sounds very sketchy and I would stay away unless everything is fixed and you have can the car inspected by a qualified third party mechanic prior to purchase

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The seller of the car was given this information by a local garage and quoted $120 to replace the fuse. He was told the roof and dash indicator was on the sane circuit and that was why both of these items were not working,also the enl light comes on.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
A fuse costs 25 cents and takes 90 seconds to change. If this is all that is wrong, why doesn't thler have it fixed so he can sell a trouble-free car instead of this car with multiple issues?

There is no fuse that is shared between the roof and indicators.

Again, the EML light means there is a fault with the electronic throttle system, usually a failed throttle and/or failed throttle wiring harness. This has nothing to do with the roof or indicators. This light only means there is a throttle fault and nothing else.

I will repeat: do not buy this car until it is fully repaired and you have paid to have it inspected by a third party bmw specialist mechanic. None of what you have been told even comes close to making sense.

Please kindly select a positive rating. Thank you.
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert