Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

i have a bmw e39 535i on a s plate..sometimes my car struggles

i have a bmw e39 535i on a s plate..sometimes my car struggles to start..when i turn ignition on it turns over but it sounds like its not getting any fuel or too much...ive had o2 sensor replaced after diagnostics check..ok for week or so but its started again..no errors found after another diagnostcs check...please help as it cant be doing engine any good,,,regards steve
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
What is fuel pressure when it fails to start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have no idea..when it eventually starts it runs absolutely fine tho

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

when the car fails to start, usually this is because there is no fuel being delivered.

the most common cause of this is a faulty fuel pump check valve that allows fuel to drain back into the tank, or one or more leaking fuel injectors which allows the fuel to leak into the engine.

to check for this, fuel pressure needs to be tested and monitored while the car is running and then monitored after the engine is shut off to see if it bleeds off.

this is the testing that needs to be carried out at this time

other possible causes would be a faulty temp sensor or possibly a weak battery or starter,

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.