Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My BMW 1200gs adventurer was serviced recently and the garage

Customer Question

My BMW 1200gs adventurer was serviced recently and the garage forgot to tighten the transmission oil plug. The gears seized whilst I was travelling only 100 km after the service and two gears have lost their teeth. There was no fluid in the transmission box. The garage tell me that the gears would have melted if the cause of breakage was lack of oil so the breakage must have been caused by something else. Please advise
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the gears wouldn't melt with a lack of oil as steel melts at 1200°C

what does happen is the bearings under the gears overheat due to lack of oil and then weld themselves together and or collaspe the gears are then no longer held square and true and smash together instead of meshly smoothly

this impact then breaks teeth

if the gearbox is fully stripped down I'm confident that you'll find blackened and overheated bearings which is caused by a lack of lubrication

If BMW could get away without using gearbox oil they would