Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have 2006 Z4 2.5 manual transmission 67000Miles. No problems

Customer Question

I have 2006 Z4 2.5 manual transmission 67000Miles. No problems at all until 3 days ago. I just come back from work. The engine was wormed to the working temperature. I sifted on 2nd gear to about 4500rpm to exhilarate after the Stop sign and suddenly the engine produced funny noise lost the compression and the power and start smoking.I manage to get to the garage. The mechanic told me the engine is severely damage and the car need new engine.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd 1st ask if the compression pressures have been measured across all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

as this may not be a badly damaged engine unless its lost coolant or oil

can you tell me what has been measured and checked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your respond. The mechanic did not measure the cylinders pressure. There is not lost of coolant but lost of oil.

Nick

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Nick

OK if there's no oil in the sump ( bottom of the engine) and the engine was run like this then I'm sorry to say that its very likely thats its badly damaged
as without oil lubrication parts will rapidly overheat and weld themselves together

with the age of the car by far the most economical fix would be to source a good used engine and fit that as a complete unit

I'd expect to pay about £1200-2000 for a complete unit with a 30 day gaurentee and then its a days labour to swop the units over

if you get one from the same the year and model then it should be a complete plug and play operation

http://www.secondhandcarengines.co.uk/Engines/46/

http://www.a1engines.co.uk/used-engines-london.php