Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 318d, diesel lost power on the motorway and the engine light

Customer Question

My 318d, diesel lost power on the motorway and the engine light came on. it still runs but no power, makes a whistling sound and does not pull.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues
Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have just had a mechanic check the car. he did not do any diagnostics but has concluded that I need new turbo.

Does this make sense ?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

thats quite possible I'm afraid

If the turbo wheel is loose in its housing and / or there's a lot of oil in the intake then these are signs of failed turbo

one of the best places to get a repalcement is here
http://www.turbotechnics.com/

as they typically are cheaper than anywhere else