Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Bluetooth problem

Customer Question

X5 E53 2006, Bluetooth pairing keeps trying to activate while driving and cuts in during sat nav. Also I can't pair my iphone 5. Can you help please?
Also the red, yellow & green lights are flashing. Other times we just get the Activate Phone message come up for no reason!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello,

what kind of help would you like with this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do stop the Bluetooth keep trying to connect when we don't want it to and to get the bluetooth to work when I do want it to (as described above)

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what is the exact process you follow to try to pair Bluetooth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The main problem is, when we are not trying to pair the Bluetooth, is when we are using the sat nav or radio etc the bluetooth paring keeps cutting in when we don't want it to All 3 lights flash as well if I press the menu button to return it to the sat nav or radio etc within a few seconds the pairing screen tries again.

I have tried pairing my phone the same way as I have before on other phones, as in the instruction book, but it won't pair and it hasn't been able to do it since the above problem started

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
right, but what is the usual process you would follow to pair the phone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hold the button above the storage compartment pressed, then after 3 seconds turn ignition key to position 1 and release after approx 3 seconds

The next stage should be that "bluetooth pairing" appears on the screen but this never happens

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this isn't likely a simple issue that can be fixed at home, these symptoms point to a legitimate system fault.

what you can try is to unhook the vehicle's battery for one hour to fully reset the system

make sure you wait 30min after turning off the car and leaking it before unhooking the battery

after you reconnect, you may need to reinitialize the steering angle sensor by turning the wheel all the way left and all he way right a few times

if the battery reset does not work, then you have a hardware or software fault which will require proper repair. It could be as simple as a faulty button, but more likely is a control module fault

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.