Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi, I have a hard top convertible 08 plate and the roof stopped

Customer Question

Hi, I have a hard top convertible 08 plate and the roof stopped half way when I tried to take it off, it really struggled to go either way, I was trying to sell it at the time. I have been told that there is an emergency button under the seat, but I haven't found any thing. It's only got 16800 on the clock and hasn't been used that much. Is there somewhere I could get it checked out,?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

can you please clarify your question? what do you mean by "Is there somewhere I could get it checked out,? "

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well basically I dont want to pay the bmw garage a fortune as im going to sell it, so was wondering if there was another garage I could try.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

this is a complex system and requires specific knowledge and tools to work on

usually the best place is the main dealer

if you have a local BMW-only specialist you could also use them, but do not use a general garage.

if you do not have a BMW only specialist or german-only specialist, you should use the dealer

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well steve, you haven't told me anything at all that i didnt already know have you. Did you read my question? I obviously know I can take it to a main dealer but i want to avoid the cost as im selling it like I explained to you already. If you know anything about bmws then you would know if it had an emergency switch in case the roof gets stuck. You didnt even mention that. What if you were stuck out somewhere in a rural place and your roof got stuck what would YOU do?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello

I am not sure why you are being curt with me

I asked you to clarify your question, and you said this:

"Well basically I dont want to pay the bmw garage a fortune as im going to sell it, so was wondering if there was another garage I could try. "

if there are other questions you would like answered, please clarify them politely.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would you do if your roof stopped half way through opening it and you were in the country and it was starting to rain and you couldnt drive it.?

Please

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

it would need to be towed via flat bed to a BMW main dealer or specialist

there is no over ride or button on this model, that is only on older, non-hardtop convertible models.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.