Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Fault Codes 2C7F and 2C2C

Customer Question

Hi there, my 5 series E60 2008 45k miles throws up an occasional pair of fault codes, 2C7F and 2C2C in bank2. Usually happens within 5 minutes of cold start. Bentley etc refer to this as a 'Too Rich' mixture. It seems unlikely that the converter is at fault as the codes indicate the fault happens both before and after the converter. According to 'MechanicLee' the equiv P114C code has numerous possible causes eg., intake/fuel system; injectors; HO2S etc. What would be the most likely cause?

PS The first code should read 2C7F not 2CF7

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

the most likely cause would be a failed airflow sensor. make sure your air filter isn't clogged either.

simple rich codes do have many causes so to verify, the proper path forward will be to have the vehicle diagnosed on a scan tool that can monitor all system inputs and outputs in real time and identify what readings are out of spec.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Steve,

Tks for reply.

I have a Bavarian Tech scan tool which apparently emulates the BMW tool.

It can sense many of the control units while the engine is running.

Which system inputs would be relevant for this type of problem?

Tks & Regards

David

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Airflow, temperature and o2.