Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 335i auto coupe petrol, while driving back from Canterbury

I have a 335i auto coupe petrol, while driving back from Canterbury at about 60mph when the car suddenly started shuddering like the engine wasn't firing properly, I carried on for a few miles I noticed the orange engine symbol came on not flashing, I travelled a little further not knowing what was wrong, I thought I would check the electronic oil level indicator which showed ok, just slightly after the light went off and the engine went back to normal and has been ok since except the service light comes on , the car has covered 58.000 mls and a 07 reg
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the most common issue on this engine is a failure of the fuel pump

other common causes are injector failures, other fuel system failures, and turbo failures.

as your symptoms and your warning lights are not specific, your next/only step at this time is to have the computer fault logs read from the vehicle to determine what fault was recorded as this will point to the problem. Most likely it is fuel pump or fuel system related.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one thing I did do is put Tesco's ultra 98 octane in which supposedly cleans fuel lines etc when I normally use anybody's unleaded 95 octane could this be a contributor ?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

if it is proper unleaded fuel I wouldn't expect it do be, but there is no need to use such a high octane fuel and the car is not designed for it, so it could contribute, yes

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.