Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My brakes (318si - 4 years old) suddenly went hard at the weekend

My brakes (318si - 4 years old) suddenly went hard at the weekend and there was no way i could drive it safely as when i tried it a few times on a side road I could not brake so had to be towed back 60 miles home. The RAC mechanic thinks it may be a servo problem but any idea what the issue could be?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello and welcome

this does suggest a brake booster (servo) failure. this will require replacement of the booster and/or lines.

the other possibility would be a hydraulics failure of some kind.

you will need to have the system inspected hands on by a BMW specialist to verify 100%

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.