Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW Z3 tramlining badly, any suggestions please

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Do any warning lights come on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No steve

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

.

the only way to lessen this will be to switch to a smaller wheel and narrower tyre.

in reality this is an aggressive car with an aggressive suspension set up that tends to follow imperfections in the road. Most BMWs experience this to some extent.

I used to have a 3 series with 225 width, 18" wheels for the summer that did it TERRIBLY. In winter, I switched to 185 width, 16" wheels and it was much, much less of an issue.

Switching to smaller rims and narrower tyres will help but may not totally resolve it simply based on the design of the vehicle and its natural tendencies.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks steve, i appreciate and understand your reply, im running on crap chinese tires i think, could you recommend a tire that might improve things ? id like to keep the wheel and tire size the same, 225/40 z/ r 18, im aware that z3,s are prone to tramlining and can accept a certain amount of it, thanks Rob

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

225/40/18 is aggressive

switching from cheap tyres to any good brand will be a good idea, but I would not expect the issue to abate much if you stick with 225 40 18s.

some good options are:

Bridgestone Potenza

Continental ExtremeContact

Kumho Ecsta

Michelin Pilot Sport

Continental ContiSportContact

but any good brand should be fine and be better than cheap tyres.

again, not likely to change your issue much if you stick with your current tyre size.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again, il try a tyre that you reccomend, some of which ive already been advised, il try some 205,s and go from there, thanks again, Rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Steve, Hi, I gave you excellent

Rob