Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

hi I have an 2007 BMW 3 series 3L diesel with 164000kms. Seemingly

hi
I have an 2007 BMW 3 series 3L diesel with 164000kms.
Seemingly following a diagnostics it requires a new DSC unit. I,ve been quoted 2700euros to have this done!!! I am wondering if I could bring it to an independent mechanic and have a reconditioned DSC fitted, or is this possible?
Would appreciate any advise re same
Many thanks.
Martina
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello and welcome

my name isXXXXX will be helping you today.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

I do not know of anyone that reconditions these units for resale. It may be possible to send yours our for repair.

if you can find a reconditioned or used unit, yes you could have it fitted, but it would likely require programming

the biggest player in reconditioning these modules is BBA Reman so I would start by contacting them. If anyone reconditions these units, it will be BBA, or at least they will know who

they can be found here: CLICK HERE

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your prompt reply. If I do get a reconditioned or used unit fitted, will i then need to return to BMW dealer to have it programmed, if I do are they likely to refuse if they have not fitted it with a new one and I have had it fitted by an independent mechanic?

Presuming it can only be programmed by a BMW garage?

Thanks, again!

Martina

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

it will likely require programming if you get a used unit or some unit not from your car originally

all main dealers are free to refuse to do whatever they want. they are independent. most would not refuse to program a second hand unit

if one did, another probably wouldn't, or a private BMW garage with high end equipment could also probably do it if a dealer would not

I am not sure what symptoms or warning lights you have, but you might consider a second opinion if you have no warning lights

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi again

ABS warning lights came on, there were no other symptoms

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

if the abs light is on and the faults indicate a failure of the unit, that is possible and common.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks!

will try some grovelling with the very expensive BMW service dept on monday and see what my options are!!

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

you are welcome. please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert