Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi the mechanic changed the timing chain and tensioner on my

Customer Question

Hi the mechanic changed the timing chain and tensioner on my mini cooper s r56 07 but now the car
wont start any ideas
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
What does the car do when you try to start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The mechanic said the car started when he changed the timing chain and tensioner then he said the timing was off so he tried to adjust it after that the car wont turn over

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
do you mean the starter motor will not turn at all, or that the engine will not start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The engine wont start

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
does the starter engage and spin the engine over or not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
what testing has been done to determine the cause of the no starter engagement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really am not sure I am just going by what he told me

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

there are MANY things that can cause this....

bad key

bad brake light switch

immobilizer issue

blown fuse

broken/disconnected wiring

immobilizer problem

bad clutch or transmission position switch

failed starter

failed ignition switch

failed engine computer

power distribution failure

if he has had the engine open twice and has been all over the engine compartment, it is very hard to guess what he might have done or what problem might have been caused.

this kind of concern is best diagnosed with a factory MINI/BMW scan tool which can read faults and live data from all systems. So, if this mechanic does not have such a scan tool, I would suggest moving the car elsewhere

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I ask you anything 2morrow when I see the mechanic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
As the question has been answered, please kindly select a positive rating to ensure I receive proper credit for my time and answer. If you would like to follow up again, you are free to do so at any time after leaving a positive rating, by simply returning to the question thread and replying again. There will be no additional charge.