Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 318ticompact and if stuck in traffic for any length

I have a 318ticompact and if stuck in traffic for any length of time the temp creeps past the half way mark and I start to worry if its going to overheat ?theres plenty water in tank
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

what year is the vehicle?

does it make any difference if the AC is on or not?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its 1996 model no ac but if put heater on it goes down slightly but not want do that in hot weather? have to keep windows open

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

these symptoms point most likely to a failed fan clutch.

the other possibility would be a failing water pump, but the fan clutch is more likely.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou very much I was informed it could be fan coupling but was not sure do I just need to get coupling ?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

the coupling would need to be replaced, yes, the fan should be separate so you should only have to buy the coupling, but you could consider replacing the pulley and fan as well depending on condition.