Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

HI, my X5 is a 2004 model, is having trouble picking up speed

HI, my X5 is a 2004 model, is having trouble picking up speed from start yet the dial is running all the way into the red.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what dial is running to the red? the temperature dial?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. The rev counter runs into the red and stays there. Engine sounds really loud when I accelerate but the car is not picking up the desired speed. It all feels like something is plugged up... needs blowing out... Our mechanic says it seems to be missing the lower gears, like it cannot make its mind up as to what gear should be used.

Once I reach around 40MPH all is back to normal and the car pulls like it should.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
so the transmission is not shifting gears?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is an automatic gearbox... and I cannot say for sure. I am pushing the gas paddle to the floor but not picking up speed, the car does not seem to want to go faster than 20-30 MPH...

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

without knowing if the transmission is shifting, it is difficult to say what this is

if the transmission is not shifting and is sticking in low gear, then this can be due to low transmission fluid, a faulty transmission temp sensor, or other internal transmission failure.

if the transmission is shifting, then the likely cause is a failed turbo.

I would strongly advise that you invest in a proper diagnostic at a main dealer or BMW specialist that has the right computer equipment to plug in and monitor all inputs and outputs from the engine and transmission management systems - this will resolve the uncertainty for you and allow you to have the correct repairs made without undue guess work.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your answers. I have had a diagnostic done 2 weeks ago but they could not find anything wrong according to their computers.

Thanks for trying to help.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

it is a specific real time diagnostic that needs to be done with specialized equipment, not just a fault scan. you need this type of diagnostics.

please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating.

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert