Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi, I have a 318i msport 09 plate. the engine was making

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 318i msport 09 plate.
the engine was making a horrible noise, we arranged for our mechanic to come out and listen, he then took the car away and found that the oil pump had stopped working therefore causing a lot of damage to the bottom end. We then started shopping around for a bottom end, and was given prices by Essex Engines for both bottom and complete reconditioned engine. As there wasn't much in the price we agreed on a complete recon. After having the car for two days they then called to say that nothing could be done with our engine and that they would need to buy a recon in and fit that. This increased the price by over £1000. Is there anyway of checking all the information they have told us, as this car has only just done completed 50k miles and was serviced last year. We do not know why the oil pump seized and won't have a report from them until we collect and pay for the car tomorrow.
Can anyone offer advise as to what may have caused the engine to be in such a bad condition or if they think I've been scammed :(
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

can you please clarify what information it is you want to check?