Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2001 bmw x5.. Its inly done 45000 miles and the engine

Customer Question

I have a 2001 bmw x5.. It's inly done 45000 miles and the engine light has come on. When we took it to a garage they ran the diagnostics and nothing is wrong with it so they cleaned the cat converter out. The light went off as soon as this was done.. But now the light has come back on. How do I get rid of the light . Is it to do with the fuel cap??
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
What faults are logged in the vehicle's computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just the engine light has come on
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
That is just a driver warning. When the car is scanned with a diagnostic comupter, a fault code or codes are retrieved. I am asking for these fault codes. Do you not have them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately the garage didn't give me the fault codes. The mechanic cleaned the catalyst converter and the light went off . The following day the light came on. The mechanic thinks it's to do with the cat converter and because it has done such low mileage in the last 13 years that's why the engine light has come on
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

The engine light is not specific to any one thing. It is only meant to inform the driver that there is a problem with engine management / emissions control.

This light comes on when the car's engine management system senses an emissions impacting fault. This has nothing to do with oil service, coolant level, or any regular maintenance items. This light is caused a failed component or operating range out of spec. There is a problem with the engine / engine management / emission control systems or one of the inputs that it uses to operate properly / efficiently. There are about 200 individual faults that can trigger this nonspecific light.

it can be as simple as one failed spark plug or a loose gas cap. It can be as serious as a catalytic converter failure or complete engine failure.

there is no reason to suspect the cat, unless there are faults logged pointing to it. a low mileage car is not more likely to have a cat issue than a high mileage car.

so, the upshoot of all this is that you will need to have the faults read and proper diagnostics steps taken based on the stored faults.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I can get the codes for you in the morning would you be able to help me
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
I can provide feedback based on the stored codes, yes.