Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have an E61 2004 model 530d, the car runs well, but poor

I have an E61 2004 model 530d, the car runs well, but poor fuel consumption. I have fitted a new EGR valve, vacuum hoses look OK, had a fault code of air mass too high (before EGR fitted) could it be the MAF sensor - and does a new sensor require coding to the car?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

the maf and the airflow sensor are the most common causes of poor fuel consumption so these are your prime suspects - also change the air filter if it is old

a proper scan on a high end scan tool that can read live data can reveal the cause with certainty

a new maf does not require coding

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice, I rather thought a trip to the garage for a diagnostic check would be needed - I was hoping to avoid the cost!