Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Mini one 2008 42K miles A timing chain rattle and a small

Customer Question

Mini one 2008 42K miles

A timing chain rattle and a small oil leak. Throwing PL 00012 error codes

So tensioner repaired and still rattle.

Timing chain guides and gears replaced. In the process found water pump leak and the belt tensioner was faulty. Replaced the gear on the alternator too plus belt.

Replaced all, sounded better but still throwing PL 00012 error. Sensor on inlet camshaft replaced and no more error codes. Fine for a couple of days and now cam very noisy. Tappet rattle...

Going to check oil pressure tonight on a gauge but no oil pressure light on so assume its ok..

At a bit of a loss now and don't really know where to go. Any ideas? When you take the oil filler cam off there is oil but not masses being thrown about. The engine was flushed initially and a high quality oil has been used. Steve
Category: BMW
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Steve,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will continue. No replies as yet

Hello Steve,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.