Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

warning red light comes on followed by abs light i have to

warning red light comes on followed by abs light i have to switch of put in park and start the car the car is then normal and drives perfectly this happens every other day the car is bmw 645ci 2004
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

can you please provide more detail as to what exactly happens?

does this happen while you are driving?

what "warning red light" comes on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes comes on when driving red warning light and message transmission fault followed by abs light and another message drive carefully so i have to stop car switch off put leaver park and start . the car then drives normally so it seems to reset itself until next time which could be anytime

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

When these warning lights come on together, it indicates a fault within the ABS / traction control system on the car as well as the transmission, which can be impacted by the ABS system. These lights are not specific and are only intended to inform the driver that a fault is present. There are MANY possible causes for these generic warnings as they are not intended to be specific or aid in trouble shooting / diagnostics in any way.
.
With that said, there are three very common things that cause these lights to come on together, a faulty wheel speed sensor, a failure within the ABS / traction control module itself or a failing alternator.
.
The good news is that when these lights come on, the car's computer logs a specific record of the problem. As such, you will need to have the fault memory read from the vehicle to determine exactly what your underlying issue is. If a wheel speed sensor is determined to be the problem, then you will need to replace that sensor (about $150).

.

If the module is determined to be the problem, then the module itself will need to be replaced or sent out to be fixed. Two good places that fix these are Module Masters and BBA Reman. You can find both on google. They charge a few hundred to repair one of these modules. Replacing the module with a new one will cost around a grand, so sending yours out to be rebuilt is the best option should the module turn out to be the failed component. If the alternator is the issue, it will need to be replaced.
.
Again, you will need to have the fault memory read from the vehicle to confirm 100%, but chances are the problem is either a wheel speed sensor or the abs/traction control module or alternator. A fault scan is the next/only step at this time.

.

Please be sure to drive carefully as you do not have ABS or traction control functionality on your vehicle if these lights are on.

.
Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert