Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi I have a BWW 3 tourer and its 2000 model .it been great

Customer Question

Hi I have a BWW 3 tourer and its 2000 model .it been great but just lately I have noticed the indicators come on without me touching the control left and then right will start flashing then it stops for a while and sarts again . very confusing to people following me and also dangerous any ideas please regards Ian
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Is it the turn signals flashing one side at a time, or the hazard lights coming on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi it's the turn signals they don't flash together even if I put on the hazard lights it still wants to do one side or the other it seems to be a fight between the left and right but left seems to win then it's ok for 20 minutes then it starts again car works fine except cant change the time or mile meter ok

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The left hand signal comes on more than the right but they dont flash togerther ! so no problem with the hazard lights .

if you push the hazard light switch it works but then it will flash one signal only then start working for a short time then only 1 flashes so it changes back and forth between both flashing then only 1 at a time !

when using car with hazards on the left signal keeps flashing and you can hear the flasher unit coming on and off then the right one will do it tyhen after a while yhe car works normally . any ideas is the main control curcuit box faulty ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

any news please ?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

This could be just a simple faulty turn signal stalk. Start by replacing this.

If the issue continues it is either a wiring / connection issue or fault in the lamp control module - the lamp module being more likely in this case (this is the main light circuit box)

If you are willing to invest in a scan on a bmw scan tool this will be able to identify the issue with certainty..

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.