Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a BMW 320d 2006 . The engine occasionally misfires and

Customer Question

I have a BMW 320d 2006 . The engine occasionally misfires and the dynamic traction control activated symbol appears in the display at the same time. I looked in the handbook and it says that when the DTC is activated the engine power is reduced. This makes sense but I have never used the DTC which has to be activated by a button. Can you help?

Guy Wiltshire
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
How do you know the engine is missfiring? Does the engine light come on with missfire codes stored?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no codes or symbols other than the symbol for activated DTC which flashes at the same time as the engine is having power restricted.The handbook states that power will be reduced when DTC is activated but it has not been activated and appears to come on on its own intermittently

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Your car is not missfiring

This is normal and expected operation

Dtc is cutting in to prevent slip

Dtc is always ON by default, the button is to turn it OFF

There is no problem with your car. Dtc is preventing you from losing traction, as it is designed to do.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This answer is rubbish. I have had this car for 4 years . The DTC is only activated when required. I did not activate this and you can not say it was required yesterday in dry and sunny conditions .Can I have my money back?

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Dtc is always on. You are mis informed. Best wishes with yur vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is a load of Bollocks. You dont know any more than I do . Read the notes I sent. Give me an answer

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Dtc is always on. You are mis informed.

I am not interested in taking any additional abuse so I am leaving the question now. Perhaps another expert will have an answer for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The expert I have paid for Knows nothing. Can I have my money back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please, new expert, read my notes.

I am not stupid. I just want an answer to my question

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I have given all the information I can. Your expert only told me what I already knew and has not diagnosed the problem I need solved