Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 330d se model..............2007............50,000 miles Thumping

BMW 330d se model..............2007............50,000 miles

Thumping sound comes and goes on tick over/idling..........also when starting from cold.

When engine is revved it goes away.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
is it more like thumping or more like ticking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is definitely a thumping noise.........and it is not part of the engine as it does not speed up or slow down with revving the engine.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
but I thought it went away when revving the engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think when revving the noise is less audible.

Performance is not being affected and the noise does come and go.

It is most noticeable when idling and starting from cold.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

as I am sure you can appreciate, it is difficult to diagnose a noise one cannot hear.

common causes of noise like this would be the lifters (more of a tapping though), one of the belt driver components, or the oil pump. usual diagnosis steps are to run the car without the belts briefly to see if the noise persists and to trace it with a mechanic's stethoscope.

if the noise does not change with engine speed, it could possibly be an emissions control pump, so in that case the pump would be disconnected and the car started to see if the noise still exists or not.

the only next step is a proper fault scan and test plan.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle