Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have just been told by my garage that there is a leak which

Customer Question

I have just been told by my garage that there is a leak which causes my gassing on air con to leak and also the coolant for power steering to leak and hum. I have a six series 2006 convertible. am I being fed a line? I was also told they cannot find the root of the leak unless they take the front bumper and grill off which means losing my car overnite...

Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

So i asume from description they top off the "power steering fluid" and is just leaks out?

Which area do you see it leaking out from under the car rough area etc?

Do you have the last 7 digits of the cars vin number?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when the bonnet is opened there is an area where you can see virtually straight to the ground and it pools down there. the leak sits not far from where the pump is siuated.

what is the vin number?

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok.. VIN number is the vehicle "Vehicle identification number in log book etc" just to see what steering you have on there...However if the leak pools as you say down at the right hand side of the engine just where the pumps sits under your alternator..then i dont see why they would have to remove the bumper really..they could get the car up in the air and then makes checks from underneath/removing the under protection trays under the car and then makes checks up from below to see where this mentioned leak comes from..if they have difficulty in finding the leak then there are products out there to help trace it down it source route ie:- UV Leak Detector Kit in which a small amount of uv dye is added to the power steering fluid..the car run for a few moments to circulate the dye and produce the leak..then using a uv torch and the special glasses you should see the uv dye leaking out..and just follow it back..if the leak is as significant as you say or describe then im finding it difficult to see why the garage cant trace it down..obviously they would need to clean up the area if this fluid is all over the place and then make checks..

it is really a case of basically starting off from the reservior itself then follow the tubes/lines to the steering pump then to the steering rack then follow it back..But the air con system is connected with the power steering - if gas is being lost in that system then you have another issue..As per pricing..it difficult to say without knowing exactly whats been found as faulty or leaking..as it could be a simple ring seal on the line connection to the pump itself thats leaking as oppossed to the whole pump itself...If need be maybe get a second visual opionion if you feel this garage isnt able to track it down for you..I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate