Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 730d 2009. THE NOTICE CAME UP SAYING "INCREASED DISCHARGE

Customer Question

BMW 730d 2009. THE NOTICE CAME UP SAYING "INCREASED DISCHARGE BATTERY". yesterday. This morning the car would not start. Used jump lead.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello,

can you please clarify what exactly your question is about this or what information you would like?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to know whether the battery discharge is due to the battery being weak (5 years old) or is it due to some electrical or other faults? I do not want to change the battery if it is ok and can be recharged again. Also if there is another fault causing the discharge, then obviously it needs to be sorted out.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

.

there are a few different things which can trigger this warning

the first is a simple weak battery. if your battery is still original, it may be in need of replacement. When the battery is replaced, the car's computer needs to be updated so that the charging system properly monitors and charges the new battery. This needs to be done by a main dealer or BMW specialist garage with the necessary equipment for this computer update.

another possible cause of this warning is a problem with battery monitoring system.

finally, a faulty electrical component that is placing a high drain on the car when it is off is also a possibility. This requires specialist testing to determine if it is in fact the cause.

so, at this time, I see two possible paths forward.

1) replace the battery and have the computer updated to accept it, and hope it is the cause, which it could be due to its age

2) invest in a proper fault scan and test plan to determine the exact cause of the warning

if you opt for 1, it would probably be worthwhile having the faults scanned at the same time as the computer is updates to get an indication of whether or not there may be a drain issue (it should not cost much to have this done when already paying for the battery registration update)

.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve

I have booked the car for Wed 25th June to look at the problem with battery. Once I got the car back and compared your views with what the garage did, I will answer.b

Thanks for your help in the meantime.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

as the question has been answered to the best of my ability, given the information you have provided, please kindly select a positive rating so that I receive proper credit for my time and answer. If a proper test plan and fault scan is being carried out per my advice, there is no way the outcome cannot be consistent with my suggestion.

If you need to follow up at a later date, you are free to do so without additional charge, by simply returning to this page.