Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

hi I have a 523i 1998 bmw changed head gasket water pump thermostat

hi I have a 523i 1998 bmw changed head gasket water pump thermostat radiator and cap but I have high water pressure at radiator does not overheat or loose water a friend of mine put a water pressure test in radiator and it goes just on red line could you help with problem many thanks lee
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
so the system is not overheating or boiling over water?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it is not overheating but the chap who is doing the work says there is to much pressure in water system going to rad . hose is hard he has pressure bleed the system he seems to think block in letting air in

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

if there was a block problem or other breach between the engine and cooling system, typically the engine would overheat rapidly and blow the cap.

if there is speculation that there may be such a breach, then a chemical test or leak down test should be carried out to verify.

if no breach is found, then there are only so many things which can cause the system to pressurize (water pump, thermostat, blockage, air in the system, failed fan clutch), and really if it isn't overheating or blowing the cap off, I find it hard to believe it is in fact over pressurizing. The cap for the cooling system is designed to let go when the system develops too much pressure. If the cap is not letting go to release pressure, then the pressure cannot really be that high (the cap is rated at 2.0bar)

so, I would advise a chemical or leak down test, as well as a check of cooling system components. If all turns out okay, you are not overheating or losing water, then I can't see how there could be an issue.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do you do chemical leak down test and should radiator water pipe be hard

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you can purchase chemical test kits from parts stores

a leak down test requires equipment to pressurize the cylinders and monitor leak down. If the shop working on the car does not have this equipment, the car should be taken elsewhere.

the pipes should be firm. not swelling and about to burst, but firm

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if pressure bleed and you still get air bubbles what would this indicate . thanks lee

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
That would indicate that there is still air in the system and it is not fully bled, or possibly that there is an engine / cooling system breach. As the original question has been answered, kindly please click on a positive rating. Thank you.