Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi, I have a BMW 120i Petrol. 2006 with under 10,000 genuine

Hi, I have a BMW 120i Petrol. 2006 with under 10,000 genuine miles on the clock.
However, the last 300 miles I have noticed a clear knocking coming from under the car on turning corners.
I went to Kwik Fit thinking it may be the exhaust - but it was fine. Any ideas what it could be?
I have just moved to Dereham in Norfolk NR19 and wanted to check out a service centre and ask them to take a look... but althougth I have checked out on line, I can find no garages that specialise in BMW - any recomendations?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I know the car has low miles but I'd check for worn / loose suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

also check for worn /loose mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts

as for a garage try

http://www.bmw-servicing-norfolk.co.uk/

or

http://www.easternautowerks.com/