Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

After a lay up of six months my Z4 has an airbag warning light

After a lay up of six months my Z4 has an airbag warning light up on the dash. Car was in a dry storage. The battery was flat and has been recharged out of the car. Its a 53 plate if that helps- there seems to be no reset button on or near the dash.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this light means that there is a fault in the restraint system

this is not something that can be reset a) with a button or b) without first having the underlying fault repaired

at this time you will need to have the fault logs read from the vehicle to determine what is triggering the light.

Then, whatever the failure is will need to be repaired.

Once the failure is repaired, the light can be switched off with a diagnostic computer - there is no way to get the light off without a diagnostic computer. Even if it turns out to be a glitch and there is no real underlying fault, the light will still need to be reset with a diagnostic tool.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.