Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi I have owned an o4 BMW 320 Coupe since new. ( only about

I have owned an o4 BMW 320 Coupe since new. ( only about 19,000 miles on clock.) It spends a lot of time standing in my Garage -not on stands !
At the beginning of 2014, I noticed that a rear tyre was slowly deflating. I took it for a check, they discoverd three very small pin prick holes very close together-unrepairable.
I had a new tyre fitted -but not the same make as was originally fitted.
Early May I drove the car round Europe covering about 1000 miles. Soon after arriving in France and driving on the motorway two warning lights came on 1. the centre warning light
2. the wheel Amber warning light (the one that comes on when the Hand brake is applied)
I think its Wheel rellated. The BMW agent in Bath says that it will have to go on their dianostic machine
Any suggestions as to a solution ?
***** ***** Chippenham Wiltshire
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

what faults are logged in the car's computer? have the faults been read out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has not been put on the "Read out System" at the BMW garage yet. I am sure it is related to the Wheel & Braking system, it does not seem to affect the car road handling ability. The garage say that they will not MOT it until the warning light problem has been sorted out.

***** *****

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer and am doing so in good faith. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the warning lights you have are related to the abs/traction control system of the car.

the most common cause of these lights is a failed wheel speed sensor, a failed steering angle sensor, or a failure of the abs computer module itself.

it is possible a wheel speed sensor could have been damaged when the tyre was changed, or, if this new tyre has a different diameter than the other three, it can also cause the system to go haywire.

this has nothing to do with the regular braking, only the electronic brake assistance systems. If you need them, they will not be available to intervene until the issue is resolved.

the only way to 100% verify the underlying cause is to have the faults read out from the car, there is no other way short of guessing and replacing parts blindly, to verify the cause. A fault read out is your next/only step at this time.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer- the BMW car has a complects system of wheel and brake management ! Next Monday will revel the fault !

Anyway

***** *****

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you are welcome, please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating