Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Im looking to buy a 2004 X3 2.5 auto sport. The owner claims

I'm looking to buy a 2004 X3 2.5 auto sport. The owner claims that it has a full service history at 28,000 and 44,000 miles as that's when it needed it, computer calculates according to style of driving etc. I find it hard to believe any car can only have 2 services in 49,000 miles. Is what he says true?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

is he referring to oil service?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know, I assume it has had 2 services and that's it. I found another one that has 50,000 miles and seems to have had a service every 8-10,000. From what I've read, if the car is looked after and serviced regularly, it is better.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

yes, the better a car is looked after, the better buy it will be, that goes without saying.

it is true that the car does tell you when it needs a service. these vehicles are fairly light on maintenance.

if the one has only had 2 oil changes in 50,000 miles (not km) that is a red flag, but two services in addition to other oil changes would be totally normal

if the other has been in every 8-10k miles for repairs (as opposed to service) then this is also a red flag

I would simply advise that you invest in a pre purchase inspection at a main dealer or BMW specialist prior to purchase of any to have all systems and the engine checked out.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand, I assume the regular services are oil changes, I will of course double check. The previous 2 cars I bought, I has an inspection done but they were from private sellers. This purchase will be from a dealer (not BMW) and I thought it would be more reliable. Thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. Please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating.