Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

hi there...I hav a bmw 325 m sport 2009. a few weeks ago I

hi there...I hav a bmw 325 m sport 2009.
a few weeks ago I kept hearing a loud banging noise every time my car was in reverse and I applied the footbrake. In my head it seems like there is something wrong with my brake pad/discs. So as my car is under warranty I put It back to the garage I bought it from just 5 months ago and they have diagnosed it as a faulty gearbox and are awaiting a specialist to repair it. I find this a bit strange though as this noise even happened when the clutch pedal was pushed down so surely this would rule out the noise being the gearbox? or please correct me if im talking nonsense just so I know!! thanks

Gavin McGee
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello

do you have information on what specifically they think is wrong with the gearbox or what testing they did to arrive at that conclusion?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no theyve just sed the gearbox needs repaired they havnt given me any details whatsoever.just sounds very strange to me!!

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer and am doing so in good faith. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked

I agree it does sound a little uncommon but it is hard for me to question hands on diagnostics when I am not able to experience the issue myself

it could possibly be related to a transmission mount, or the driveshaft/transmission connection

you might consider getting a second opinion before they open your gearbox

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle