Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi. I have a 530d BMW registered December 2004 and have an

Hi. I have a 530d BMW registered December 2004 and have an intermittent problem that is now starting to occur more often. The events are as follows: Driving along, all is fine. Slow down to make a right turn. Turn the corner put foot on accelerator and there is no pick up in power. Either keep the accelerator in the same position or continue to slowly depress it and then after about 4 or 5 seconds off we go again. This situation then continues throughout the journey which makes for a fairly rough ride. The tone of the engine also turns, what I can only describe as, metallic. Once the destination is reached, when you get out of the vehicle there is a smell of very hot metal with the sound of the exhaust starting to cool down. So clearly the exhaust is getting extremely hot. I have spoken to the garage about it and they have done some diagnostic checks but nothing seems to show up. It is almost as if by turning right the steering arm fouls some form of ventilation to the exhaust system which in turn affects the engine performance. Just wondered if you had come across a similar problem before. Regards Stuart

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
what is the last 7 digits of the vin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for coming back to me. The last 7 digits are B337033.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

this is not a common problem

some possible causes that come to mind would be a faulty catalyst or exhaust baffle that is shifting when you turn and restricting exhaust flow

it could also be an issue with the exhaust cooler or possibly trubo related, but this would be less likely

it would be idea to replicate the issue with a bmw scan tool hooked up that can monitor all inputs and outputs from the engine management system in real time

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for that. I will put those suggestions to the garage and maybe we will get somewhere.

Thanks again.