Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi . I have an intermittent warning light on my 2006 Mini Cooper

Hi . I have an intermittent warning light on my 2006 Mini Cooper s . The manual says something about exhaust emissions. Is ther anything I can do to correct it? Or do I have to take to dealer?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
What diagnostics have been carried out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None Steve just came on yesterday. Car was low on fuel. Does it need to go to dealer or is there anything I can do?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
This warning is not specific, it is only a generic driver warning that is meant to inform the driver that a fault is present.
There are dozens of things that can trigger this warning.
The ONLY way to determine what underlying fault is triggering the warning is to have the comupter faults read out - this is your next/only step at this time.
So, this does not necessarily mean dealer, but the vehicle at a minimum will need to be taken to a shop with the equipment to read out computer fault logs.
Once the fault is read and/or other hands on checks made (dictated by the fault that is logged in the computer), the required repair can be made.
Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.