Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hello there I have a BMW x5 e53 2004 after leaving the lights

Customer Question

Hello there I have a BMW x5 e53 2004 after leaving the lights on ! And darning the battery witch Iv done a few times I must say the past two years iv jump started it and did so with no probs . I did have to reset the 4x4 light by turning right to left on wheel . Today when iv don't it the central locking has stoped working and the trans failsafe programme has come up and I can't seem to clear it iv been and bought a new battery but still the same iv disconnected it for a hour or so still nothing . Is there a way to reset trans failsafe prog ? . Thanks hope you can help cheers
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

Transmission failsafe occurs when the transmission senses a fault or is missing a needed input that is required for proper operation. Tansmission failsafe is not something that can just be reset - the underlying fault that is triggering failsafe must be fixed first.

Transmission failsafe can occur for many, many reasons. Anything from a simple low fluid level or failed sensor to complete transmission failure can cause failsafe. Even a missing input from the ABS system or a faulty alternator / voltage problem can cause failsafe, etc, etc, etc.

The good news is that when failsafe occurs, the transmission computer logs a record of the fault, which can be read out to shed additional light on the exact nature of the issue. Thus, the only way to determine why the transmission is in failsafe is to have the fault memory read out using a BMW compatible scan tool. Once the fault memory is read, the problem can be identified, and the issue fixed.

Without knowing what faults are stored, all a person can do is guess at the problem - which can get very expensive, very quickly. 

You can try to reset the transmission by turning the key to position 2 (all the way without starting the car or pressing the start/stop button twice with foot OFF the brake) and pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor for 2min. Again, the fault will likely return though until the underlying issue is addressed.

At this point, you can try the above as a temporary fix, but ultimately you will need to take the vehicle to a shop that has the proper equipment to read the fault memory and test volatges so that the issue can be determined.

There is no other way to resolve failsafe - the fault memory must first be read out so that the issue can be identified. Once the issue is identified, the problem can be corrected, the warning switched off, and normal transmission operation restored.

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have stop start botton ?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I addressed this type of ignition: I said turning the key to position 2 all the way without starting the car OR (in the case of cars with start/stop buttons) pressing it twice

Please kindly select a positive rating, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could I have blown a relay or module as everything was working fine before I jumped it could it be in transport mode as it has no centrol locking ? Thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
There is no relay for the transmission. You could have blown the trans control module but that isn't likely. No it is not in transport mode.

The central locking is likely a fuse or blown general module or other random electrical failure.

Again, a fault scan is needed to shed further light

Please do not forget to click on a positive rating.