Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

05 320i 94000 miles using oil and smoking when pulling a

Customer Question

05 320i 94000 miles using oil and smoking when pulling away?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
The most common cause of this would be leaking valve seals or a failed crankcase ventilation valve. A leakdown test and test of crankcase vaccuum will confirm.
It can also be internal cylinder or piston ring wear.
Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would cylinder or piston ring wear be normal on an engine that has done 95000 miles

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
No. But it is not impossible

If there is high suction under the oil filler cap with engine running then the ccv system is the problem. Otherwise a leakdown test is required.