Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 58 plate 530 m sport, recently on deceleration and

I have a 58 plate 530 m sport, recently on deceleration and low speed i have noticed a whining noise from engine or growling...any ideas?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello,

As I am sure you can appreciate it is difficult to diagnose a noise one cannnot hear. I will provide an honest goodo faithanswer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the most common cause for this would be an air or exhaust leak, or a failure of the crankcase ventilation system

also, belt drive components can also cause a growling type noise

the next steps will be to run the vehicle briefly without the belts, and if the noise is still present, then have it traced with a mechanic's stethoscope

wheel bearings are also common to growl, but that would be from one wheel, not the engine

Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! It was only serviced less than 1k miles ago and no mention of this problem on a full service..should I go back to them?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
There is no reason to believe the issue was present then, or that they would notice it during a service unless specifically looking for it. Please kindly click on a positive rating, thanks.