Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2011 300D Touring 25000 miles..Six months ago it developed

I have a 2011 300D Touring 25000 miles..Six months ago it developed a low pitched drumming noise from the rear of the car-frequency about 100/min.First heard about 35mph but then unchanged.Changes of tyres(R/Fs winter and summer and now Goodyear F1 AS) and a new diff. have made no difference. During the course of tests a set of F20 wheels from the current 1 series were fitted and the noise went!The dealership had the car examined by the area tech.rep.who said that "the noise was characteristic of the vehicle and its age".I despair.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
can you please clarify what your question is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've asked my question as above .What more can I tell you

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
all you've said is "I despair"
no question was asked, you have only outlined what you are experiencing.
it is very difficult to know what information it is that you would like about this situation. Therefore, I have asked that you kindly please clarify your question, or what it is you would like to know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I despair because there does'nt seem to be a cure for the noise.The F20 wheels are not standard for the 3 series and because of their different offset are not recommended.i had hoped that you may be able to give me a pointer to the possible root of the noise

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
The noise is clearly linked to the wheel and tyre set up you have on the car. I would swap to a narrower set or consider even going with an f20 set if you think it is worth it to use a non recommended set up to avoid the noise.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Steve.Is it permissible or safe to put F20s on when they have a different offset from the O/E wheels?