Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

BMW Series 3 2000. Auto. Is slow going into top gear.

I BMW Series 3 2000. 1.8 Auto.  slow going into top gear. Does this mean a new gearbox?

Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Not necessarily in regards ***** ***** new gearbox - if its slow gear changing then the best advice first would be to consider having the gearbox oil/filter element changed,This is on the assumption this has never been done for quite sometime on that gearbox - which you dont say wither there has been a fluid/filter service done on it or not in the recent past..so i would maybe give that a try..most if not all good garages can carry that out with a genuine new filter and the genuine fluid for that particular gearbox and then see if the problem has resolved itself..nine times out of ten it usually can help and the problem wont come back...so as above before condemning the gearbox is to have the fluid/filter changed it would be the cheapest option first..I do hope this helps..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help, I feel much happier now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have had to search around for a garage that would undertake this. Have found one that specializes on autos and am due to take it there tomorrow. will let you know the outcome.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Had it checked out today, seems the garage I last had some new tyres put on, though they were brand new, used two different makes. One was of slightly bigger diameter and was giving a different speed reading to the sensors, causing the gearbox to "hunt" up and down. Cost me £40 to find this out, but cheaper than a new gearbox.