Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Have a1 series es i118 auto convertible 35500 miles that smokes

Have a1 series es i118 auto convertible 35500 miles that smokes first thing a.m was wondering what cause and how to rectify? Goes away soon after but ! Appreciate tip thanks Gary
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
What color is the smoke?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
White/grey dosnt smoke later in the day
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

there are multiple things that can burn to cause smoke

1) moisture - usually white. Can simply be due to mosture in the engine burning off in the morning. This will be more common with vehicles that are only used for short trips or those that are left idlinig for long periods. Taking the vehicle for a long, high speed run can burn of a lot of this moisture.

2) coolant - usually white. Would indicate a serious engine issue. this can be tested for chemically but usually if this was the cause you would have bigger issues such as overheating, etc.

3) excess fuel - usually greyish. this is from too much fuel being used which can be due to a faulty temp sensor, airflow sensor, or leaking injectors

4) oil - usually white/blue. this is from oil leaking into the cylinders and burning off when the vehicle. most commonly this would be leaking valve seals.

so, at this time, you will need to determinie what it is that is burning to cause the smoke, and then determine the source of it. I would say most likely it is leaking valve seals causing oil to burn. This can be tested for with a leak down test. fixing this will require the seals be replaced.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for reply,car does do short runs I admit,also just started car after 4hrs and no smoke visible,are the valve seals a big job? No oil leaks under car visible,haven't had car long so a worry gary
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

yes the valve seals is a big job.

oil leaking under the car does not cause smoke out the tail pipe so this is not relevant.

you can try taking it for a long, hot run, see if that helps.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks ,what other tell tale signs should I be aware of,the drive of the car? No sensor signs on dash,warnings etc
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
. There normally won't be any other indication besides the smoke itself and possibly fluid levels dropping so you can watch for this, that's about it. As the question has been answered, please kindly select a positive rating.
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

are you having a technical problem clicking on a positive rating?