Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I want to buy a B M W 316 Ti on an 2003 plate it has 10007

I want to buy a B M W 316 Ti on an 2003 plate it has 100007 miles but no cam belt change is this a problem. any other problems it has been well serviced

Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

That engine will be a timing chain engine..so there wont be any note of a t-belt change..however if its had good service history and well looked after then the engine should be in good order..just listen out for any unusal noises from the timing cover,as they can have some issues with these chains are known to slip if its been fitted with modified chain tensioner and guides then it should be fine - aswell as check all fluids especially so coolant/oil condition under the cap,dipstick etc..mechanically wise as per gearbox/ pretty well reliable.just check for any unusal smoke from the tail pipe when revved up.obviously check the clutch operation being at that mileage-it would be worth checking that out.check for slippage and at what point the bite comes in..if its really high then you maybe looking at clutch change soon...also they arent unknown for the suspension issues especailly on the front..so again on test drive listen carefully for any knocking on uneven ground/road surfaces..I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate