Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 520 sport. yesterday after driving 250 miles i

Customer Question

I
have a 520 sport. yesterday after driving 250 miles i had a feeling that i thought the gear change was slightly stiffer but changed okay. I went on board a ship from Portsmouth to Bilbao and parked the car a turned of the alarm. When I came to start it onboard ship it would not go into reverse gear. The crew pushed backwards and I managed to get it into first gear and get off the ship. I pulled up and switched off. I then started it again and at first it would not go into gear. I eventually got it into gear and managed to drive 97 miles to my destination and managed to change gears okay although s Any ideas lightly stiff. The car is 3 years old with 41000 miles and was serviced a couple of months ago. The computor does not show any faults Any ideas?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
is this a manual or automatic transmission?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a manual gearbox

regards

Bill

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

there is more than on thing that could cause hard shifting

a hydraulic issue would be one, worn clutch would be another, binding shift linkage another, and an internal transmission issue the last

I would strongly recommend using a BMW specialist garage if not a main dealer for this repair

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dear expert

probably not your fault. the system probably never gave you the question earlier. by the time you came back to me i had got it fixed, i first asked the question on saturday evening and was promised an answer in 4 hours which in actual fact became 18 hours

regards

bill