Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I own a bmw z3 1999 e36 engine 1.9hp recently temperature gauge

I own a bmw z3 1999 e36 engine 1.9hp recently temperature gauge fitted to my car even on a hot day has not reached ambient temperature i.e.needle on gauge not in central vertical position on gauge.This gives the impression of the engine running cool,but also when i switch the heater on into a position to produce heat and use the blower fan only cold air comes through the vents. Could you please tell me if in your opinion the thermostat is stuck fully open causing the problem. In addition my air conditioning is not getting cold but i have been told this may be due to a leak in the a/c system.Could the two problems be connected ? Thank you
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

hello

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the engine not reaching temp is normally due to a stuck open thermostat

a leak in the AC system will have no impact on the engine getting to operating temp or not, so if the AC will not cool, it is likely not related to the engine temp issue

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.