Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

Hi there, New to this place, would really like some guidance

Customer Question

Hi there,
New to this place, would really like some guidance / help.
I have a 2010 X6M, been driving around for the past couple of years with absolutely no problems. I look after the car meticulously, only premium fuel, regularly serviced, etc. Went on holiday for two weeks, left the car on the driveway. When the missus was turning the car on this morning, the engine had a long crank and the following messages came up on iDrive:
Servotronic Failure
DCM Failure
Fuel Pump Failure
What could be the issue? I have had the recovery people put it in neutral with a large orange key and have towed it to the local BMW garage. I thought it would be a flat battery / low battery charge issue, however the recovery firm didnt even check that, just looked at idrive and told me that the fuel pump is bad. Really worried that BMW are going to rip me off for something trivial.
Please help, any guidance / comments would be most welcome!!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Have the faults. Been read from the vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BMW have not told me if they have read the faults yet. Basically the car had been sitting on the drive for the past three and a half weeks while I was on holiday, no issues with it at all up to then. When we returned, we tried to switch it on and the errors that I described came up on iDrive, and the car wasn't switching on, had a long crank. We could not put the car into gear either, so had to call the recovery guys. The recovery guys didn't attempt to read the faults, just repeated to me what was being shown on iDrive, opened a flap near the gear lever, put it neutral and towed to to the local BMW place. The car itself is very looked after, only 25K KM on the clock, regularly serviced, etc. When I went to the BMW garage last night they hadn't even checked the car in to the garage, I went and tried to turn it on again and iDrive said:
Servotronic Failure (did not say this when it wasn't turning on while Sutton on my driveway)
Fuel pump Failure
DCM Failure
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

the most common cause of getting all of these warning at once would be a voltage issue or failed control module.

It is unlikely that all of these systems are independently faulted at the same time.

ultimately the faults need to be read from the vehicle and the proper test plans carried out to verify the underlyinig cause or causes. If a BMW main dealer has the vehicle, they will be able to diagnose the cause easily.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The garage just called me to say that there is water ingress into the DME. I don't know what this means but is this normal? I look after this car meticulously!! They have quoted me €3500 to repair it.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

this means that the computer (control module) that controls the engine is wet and needs to be replaced

no this is not normal, water is not supposed to get on the engine computer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went to seem them face to face, they are saying that this just happens because "debris" gets stuck over some holes over the DME, water builds up, goes in, and that is that. They have apparently asked BMW Germany for an ok or not ok to do the repair free of charge, don't trust that at all. They showed me the DME, the bottom 2 inches of it was wet and caked with car wax / wiper fluid, the rest of it was dry. The bottom of the compartment where the DME sits was wet. Trying to see if I can find any technical service bulletins to help my case.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I am not aware of any bulletin relating to this on your vehicle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Meaning a high chance of them screwing me for the cash, right?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

um, no? not at all.

either the car is in warranty or not. if not in warranty, it is up to BMW whether or not they wish to contribute to coverinig the cost.