Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 330d 2006 saloon with a 6hp26 6-speed steptronic gearbox

I have a 330d 2006 saloon with a 6hp26 6-speed steptronic gearbox that is jerky going into 2nd gear both going up and down the gears. Am advised approx £3000 to refurb. I have been offered a low mileage 6hp28 gearbox as a replacement. Will this go straight in with no issues ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
The answer to your question is no. If you want to swap in another transmission, it must be 100% identical or it will not work.
Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger - I can only give the honest answer, which I have. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for my honest and prompt response, and I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why would this not be compatible if this is the second generation version of my first generation box that has come out of a 330d msport saloon same year ? I have been given the impression that this would fit - please confirm, and work if the software was updated to suit - please confirm. I am reluctant to purchase without definitive answers. Cheers.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
It is not that simple. All of the cars systems are interconnected. Even if you could reprogram the transmission computer, there is no way to know if you could reprogram the engine computer to work with it. Or if you did reprogram the engine computer, would it still work properly with the abs system, etc.
The rule of thumb used is that unless the used part has the 100% same bmw part number as the original part, it should not be installed.
If this was my car, I would not be doing what you are asking about because the cost of being wrong - which there is no way to guarantee against - is too high.
Please kindly click on a positive rating. Thank you.