Robert
Robert, BMW Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Level control malfunction ......... Can I drive the car safely

Level control malfunction ......... Can I drive the car safely . Car definitely lower on the rear passenger wheel arch,and bouncy when driving. I'm 120 miles from home . Will driving it damage the car ?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Sounds like you have the typical X5 failure of the air spring/air bag failure..this means the system has picked it up "hence the warning" and is loosing air on that shock/or ride hight sensor has failed and thus you find the car leaning down lower on that side..normally this will need to be full shock/airbag replacement if that has failed or leaking..not cheap..so certainly have checked out first before replacement..in a sense you wouldnt likely damage anything else you could still drive it if it where short distance wise be it as you find handling will be effected aswell as the overall stability of the car itself.as the car isnt levelled out..if you feel you confident enough to drive it that distance then you can just need to be extra carefull at driving the vehicle ie: reduced speed/braking distances and cornering slower then normally..but normally the best advise really when it comes to driver safety is to have it recovered - if your with breakdown service RAC/AA as such then they should be able to help..I do hope this helps