Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Hi can you help me with a x5 e53 issue please

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
what is your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a 2001 x5 E53 4.4 sport. When I accelerate I get a slight judder more worse when I turn.Then it stops. I had the gearbox re furb last year, rear sub frame bushes done. All front arms, bushes etc done.
Could it be a fuel filter, or fuel pump???? Really need your help as I love my bmw.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

where on the vehicle does the feeling come from?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Comes from the engine like it's running out of petrol. It feels like the hull car is juddering. Does this make sense? Only mainly when I take off at low speed. And when I'm driving I keep my foot still on the gas peddle and the reeve counter moves up and down I've also had the software checked and it's fine on the engine.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
so the movement in the rev counter is not consistent with the power being put to the road?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah it moves up and down ever so slightly around 2500 revs. That's about when the juddering happens. But then it could be around 4000 and slighty moving up and down. And I keep my foot still on the peddle.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

as I am sure you can appreciate it can be very difficult to diagnose a judder which one cannot experience first hand.

if the engine is hiccuping as you've described, there are many possible causes.

the most common would be a problem with fuel deliver (pump or filter issue), an air leak, a failed crankcase vent valve, failinng throttle or failed airflow sensor

however, a judder can also be from the suspension due to worn components, from a wheel bearing, from an output shaft, a differential or from the transfer case

I would advise that the vehicle be raised on a hoise for an inspection of all driveline and suspensioin components, and also that real time diagnostics be carried out where all inputs and outputs from the engine management system can be monitored in real time, and a possible faulty reading be called out in the live data stream

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks. I've had the mass air flow sensor replaced 2 months ago. All track rod arms looked at and arms, bushes replaced. How could I find out if it's the differential? If that's fine. Should I change the fuel filter, if still the same the fuel pump??
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
You would need to run the vehicle on a hoist and use a mechanics stethoscope to determine if there was a possible differential issue .
If you believe the issue is with the engine you could replace the fuel filter and/or pump.