Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

hello, I have an X3 but I think I need its computer reset,

hello, I have an X3 but I think I need its computer reset, it always starts up in Dutch can this be reset to English, Many thanks

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

hello

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated on a sunday. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

a bmw main dealer or garage with dealer level equipment should be able to program this to the correct language, yes.

you could try unhooking the vehicle battery for an hour to reboot all systems, but most likely a reprogram will be required, and this unfortunately requires speciliast equipment that only main dealers or specialist garages have

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when I last took it to a BMW garage they tried to say the whole system would need to be replaced and I know this is not the case, I did not trust my local garage hence want to try myself what type of specialist garage outside of BMW that charges over the top. will try disconnecting battery but how does that effect the alarm, will it trigger the alarm. thanks will rate after reply

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.

unhooking the battery does not impact the alarm. if you get a traction control fault after disconnecting the battery you can turn the wheels lock to lock while stationary with ignition on to clear that. normally no issue will occur when unhooking the battery

it is possible you could require a parts replacement to rectify this, but I would normally expect a programming/software update to be sufficient, I would use a main dealer for this. They are expensive, but they have the equipment and knowledge to address this.