Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

how to unlock the steering wheel on bmw 318d Please!

Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

what exactly is the problem with your car?

what year is it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

bmw 318d. year 2007. The steering wheel is locked, can not turn. so it just shows the yellow steering lock indicator light. It does not start. Have tried to insert the key while turning the steering wheel back and forth. still no luck. I think the electronic key is ok because it opens and lockt the door.

Please advise. Thanks

Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
I am going to be 100% honest with you, and I trust that will be appreciated.
I'm afraid I have bad news. 99% the car will need to be towed to BMW.
Unfortunately this is a very common problem on this model. The electronic steering lock is very common to fail and cause this. You can try wiggling the wheel and rocking the car back and forth, a second key, a jump start, check fuses, lock unlock the car a few times using the blade key, and unhooking the battery for an hour. You have already tried a few of these I see....
Truthfully, none of these is likely to work. I'm afraid that almost certainly the car will need to be towed to bmw, as this is usually the only way to resolve this issue.
Bmw will normally have to update the software or replace the steering column to fix the issue. BMW actually got rid of the steering lock on later model 3 series' because they failed so commonly and were such a problem.
If you do a google search for e90 steering lock or e90 elv, you will find all kinds of people with the same issue.
I am sorry I can't have better news, but I do trust that my honesty and response on a weekend is appreciated. Again this is very common.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.